Monday, April 23, 2012

When Will They See?

I, Too, Sing America
by Langston Hughes

I, too, sing America.
I am the darker brother.
They send me to eat in the kitchen 
when company comes,
but I laugh,
and eat well,
and grow strong.

Tomorrow,
I'll sit at the table 
when company comes.
Nobody'll dare
Say to me,
"Eat in the kitchen."
Then.

Besides,
They'll see how beautiful I am
And be ashamed.

I, too, am America.


Langston Hughes published this poem in 1926.  It is as poignant now as it was then.  With all of the fear and suspicion still directed at black men, I know that "tomorrow" has not yet come.

This poem provided the inspiration for my current work-in-progress, which will be included in an upcoming Fiber Artists for Hope exhibit.  My teenage son is smart, charming, talented, and handsome.  When he goes out, however, people see "just" another black kid.  When will they see how beautiful he is?

Fabrics for "When Will They See?"

No comments:

Post a Comment