Wednesday, December 29, 2010

2011, A Building Year

At the end of last year, many of the people who belong to the QuiltArt list chose a word that would be their beacon for 2010.  I did not.  It seemed like a good idea, but I just couldn't choose.  I read and was impressed by the thought others put into their words, but just was not able to do that for myself.

I had no way of knowing then that 2010 would be a year of new ventures.  There was no grand plan in March when, after gentle nudging over the last few years (thanks, Ulie!), I decided to be a vendor at the Links Assembly in Detroit with my dolls and quilts (thanks, Mommy!).  While everyone was excitedly helping me prepare for what they saw as a new chapter for me (thanks Karen and Royce and Chloe and Courtne and Uly B and Alyssa!), I was sure this was nothing more than a one-time lark. 

I was wrong.

The interest my dolls and quilts generated at the Assembly and, later, at the Urban League Convention was totally unexpected (apparently, only to me) and hugely gratifying.  Suddenly I was a small business.


With my mother at the Links Assembly

Urban League Convention


And so, my word for 2011 is BUILD.  Build on the foundation of 2010 with careful planning and unrestrained creativity.  I think I'm ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment